Authorship and attributions
Authorship is described as:
- By Nicolo Amati: We believe in our best judgment that this work was made by this maker.
- Attributed to Nicolo Amati: A work believed to be by this maker by popular consensus or past opinion, but not necessarily by us.
- Ascribed to Nicolo Amati: A work believed to be by this maker in the opinion of the authors of the accompanying certificates or letters, but not necessarily by us.
- Probably (or possibly) by Nicolo Amati: A work about which there is divided opinion.
- Under the direction of Nicolo Amati: A work executed under the guidance of and with the direct involvement of this maker.
- Workshop of Nicolo Amati: A work executed in the style of this maker, most probably under his supervision and with his involvement.
- School of Nicolo Amati: The work of a follower of the maker or region stated.
- Labeled (or stamped, branded) Nicolo Amati: An instrument not necessarily the work of the maker stated but labeled or branded as such.